Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Hello 2008!


2008 just got here and I can already tell it's going to be a great year.

Last night Alex and I got all dolled up for a party his co-worker was throwing. Interesting. We didn't know that many people...but hey, who cares? We looked hot. ;-) 

We had to leave the party shortly after midnight because Alex had to be at work today at 8 in the morning. Bleh. So we went home and knocked out. Yes, we're like an old married couple already. 









Anyway...I was thinking about 2008 and it's going to be a crazy year filled with many changes. My sister is getting married in March and I follow shortly after in May. Can you imagine ME married?!? I don't know how to be a wife or maintain a household. I have to be responsible. I can't rely on mom and dad anymore. From now on it'll be just Alex and me. We have to clean for ourselves, cook for ourselves, maintain our finances. I've never been "on my own" before. I've always lived at home with my abuelita and she took darn good care of me! 

Not only will Alex and I be on our own...we will be on our own in North Carolina! Miles and miles away from our families and friends. Alex and I have a married couple that we hang out with. They got married last summer and moved to Miami right away. Her family is in Minnesota and his is in Alabama. Needless to say, they are totally alone in South Florida. She was telling me that it is difficult not having her family nearby because she can't run to them when she and her husband are having problems...but it has forced them to deal with their issues themselves. They have to work everything out without the help of family and in a sense it has made them closer. 

I can only imagine the kinds of arguments Alex and I will have in our apartment in Wake Forest, NC. I'm sure it will be very difficult, but it will always be worth it. 

And so even though I am scared to death about what 2008 has in store for us...I am very excited! I'm excited to finally be able to experience life outside of Miami. I'm excited to start a new life with my love, my best friend. I'm excited to begin my seminary education! I'm excited to meet new people. I'm excited to go to a new church. I'm excited to experience God in a different way than I ever have before. Yup. 2008 is going to be an exciting year.

7 comments:

Jescel said...

Having no family around has its ups and downs. As you know, Joe and I also don't have family living close to us. One advantage is that you can't go home to your family for refuge immediately when there's trouble between you.. as you said, you are forced to work it out on your own.
You'll be surprised, your biggest conflict will stem from the most petty things.. but as long as Jesus is the Lord of your lives as individuals and as a couple, you'll be alright. Remember, a 3-stranded cord cannot be broken-You, Alex and the HOly Spirit!

Jescel said...

and by the way.. happy new year to you too.. this year for your is a year of discoveries, huh?

Merari said...

two years! yay!

congrats. I'm excited for you guys.

alexita said...

awww! :)
north carolina?!?!? wow thats a change. but i know that what you said is 100% true: you'll have to face the problems yourselves. sometimes its better like that. :)
im so excited for you guys!!! yayy!!! :)
<33

Janell said...

i am so excited for you this year!!! you have sooo many things coming but youre a strong girl!! you can do it! lol i wish you guys an easy transition for miami to nc!!! =)

Amanda said...

i love reading your blog! i too am excited/scared for 2008. it's a transition for me, but into college. however, i can't wait! i've very happy for you and alex... best of luck!

Lauren said...

Im excited for the both of you. I will miss you both very much. Im sure you will do fine and the lord will continue to bless your household. Congrats on the two years.