Thursday, April 07, 2011

Why I Chose Rose Midwifery

A few months ago I wrote about why I chose a midwife over an OB for my prenatal care. Now I wanted to focus on how and why I chose my specific birthing team here in Denver.

We moved here right after I found out I was pregnant. I didn't know anyone who had gone through the process of choosing a healthcare provider in Denver. I couldn't get any referrals from friends or anything. So I turned to Google of course! I started searching for a midwife practice and I found Rose Midwifery. I was drawn to this practice because they work out of a hospital. This being my first child, I like the idea of giving birth in a hospital with a midwife. I'm not really sure what to expect out of giving birth so it's reassuring to know that if anything goes wrong there are doctors and surgery rooms right around the corner.

I have had four appointments with the midwives so far and I am really enjoying it. There are ten different midwives at this practice and every time I go to an appointment I just get who I get. I have the option of requesting to see only a certain midwife but I thought it would be better for me to just get to know all of them. So far they are all really nice ladies and they definitely share my birthing philosophy. They fully support my decision to have an unmedicated birth and will do everything they can to help me along the way. It's very important to me that my healthcare provider be supportive and these midwives definitely are.

Even though I was drawn to the idea of giving birth in a hospital for all the "what if's," I had some concerns. I don't want anyone at the hospital pressuring me to do anything I don't want to do. I don't want to be strapped to the bed with a fetal heart monitor and an IV. I don't want to be pressured into taking pitocin or an epidural or getting an episiotomy. I don't want to be rushed in my labor process. I have voiced my concerns at my appointments and have been met with nothing but support for my requests. I have the freedom to move around the room as I'm laboring. There is a hot tub in the room that I can labor in if I want to. There are birth balls available for my use. I don't have to have fetal monitor strapped to my belly or an IV in my arm. It makes me incredibly happy that I can have the experience I want even though I'm giving birth in a hospital.

I'm really excited about giving birth and I'm praying for a positive experience. I'm praying that God would keep my baby safe and healthy throughout the whole process and I'm praying that He will give me strength, patience, and whatever else I need to get me through labor and delivery. And I'm sure my birthing team will be behind me 100%.

No comments: