Wednesday, July 06, 2011

rain gutter bookshelves

In an effort to keep costs down with the nursery I've been looking all over the internet for inexpensive DIY ideas. I stumbled upon these ideas on babble.com and fell in love with the rain gutter bookshelves featured. I showed the idea to Alex and he was on board. We went down to Home Depot, paid five bucks for a long rain gutter, and Alex cut them down to size at home using a saw. He drilled them to the wall the other night and it looks great! I love how easily accessible the books will be for Liam. And I really love how inexpensive and easy this was to do. Tomorrow I'll be going down to the used book store to see what children's books I can find. I hope they have a good selection.


The nursery is allllmost finished, which is good because we've only got about a month to go until Liam is here! Can't wait to share the finished product.

2 comments:

Kortnie Wertzbaugher said...

Are the edges of the shelves rough? I love this idea. It's super cute and inexpensive!

Anonymous said...

Alex sanded down the edges so they're smooth. But we're going to get some end caps at Home Depot for some added protection as well. :-)