However, after talking to my midwife at my last appointment I decided I would come up with a little one page bullet-point list of desires so that we are all on the same page. I'm sure I won't want to be discussing my wants in the middle of painful contractions so it's easier if everyone knows up front.
I thought I'd share a little bit of my birth plan on here to give you an idea of what I came up with and maybe it'll help some other mamas-to-be who are feeling a little overwhelmed with writing up a birth plan.
- My labor support person is: My husband, Alexander Acevedo.
- I would like the following people to attend the birth of my baby: Alex Acevedo - husband. Kristabel Lopez - mother.
- I would like to walk as much as possible during labor.
- I would like to use the hot tub during labor.
- I would like to use the following comfort measures during labor: breathing techniques, birth ball, different positions, squat bar, walking, massage, hot tub, music, cold compresses, warm compresses, whatever works.
- Please do not offer medications to me. I will request them if I feel they are needed.
- I prefer intermittent rather than continuous fetal monitoring.
- I would like to take photos and video during labor and birth.
- I would like to avoid an episiotomy as much as possible.
- I would like coaching on when and when not to push.
- I would like to avoid a C-section unless absolutely necessary.
- I would like my husband and I to be a part of the decision-making process.
- I would like the baby placed on my chest right after delivery.
- I would like my husband to cut the umbilical cord.
- I do not want to be separated from my newborn during procedures.
- I plan to breastfeed exclusively.
- I would like to meet with a lactation consultant while at the hospital.
- Please do not give my baby any supplemental feedings or offer a pacifier without discussing it with me first.
- I do not want my baby to be circumcised.
That's the gist of it all. I know things don't always go to plan and that giving birth can be unpredictable. Right now sitting in a hot tub during contractions sounds fantastic...but maybe when the time comes I won't want to. And that's okay. I'm willing to be flexible and listen to my body. I just want to let my body do its thing, my body was made for this and knows what to do.