Wednesday, June 09, 2010

New Pet Peeves

We all have pet peeves.
Whether it's noisy eaters, nail biting, drivers who don't use their turn signals, bad grammar, bare feet, emoticons (which I happen to love by the way), etc etc. Pet peeves are all around us.

Well I have found a whole list of new pet peeves since moving to North Carolina! Hoorah!

First of all, what is the deal with men calling their wives "my bride"? WHY do they do this? It's the most annoying term of endearment I've ever heard. "I'm going out on a date night with my bride." "Can't wait to get home to my bride." "I love my bride, she's the best." BLEGH. Remember that day when she got all dressed up in white and you wore that dorky tux? That's when she was your bride. Now she's your wife. I don't know, maybe they're trying to keep the honeymoon phase going, but it is truly so so annoying.

These same men are usually the ones who have some sort of smart comment to say about guys who are dancers/artists/musicians. As if a man being a dancer/artist/musician makes him less manly somehow. Are you kidding me?! Male dancers are amazingly strong, agile, and could probably kick your butt without even trying. Male artists and musicians are much more talented and creative than you could ever hope to be.
Watching football and dressing like a slob doesn't make you manly.
Enjoying art, dance, poetry, or playing the piano doesn't make you un-manly.
So let's cool it with the offensive comments.
(In case you hadn't guessed, that there was my second pet peeve)

And then there's these women who get pregnant and have to make every single conversation about their "delicate condition." I'm happy for your little miracle, but can we please talk about something else for a while? This YouTube video was made for them:


So that's it. I'm glad I got that all off my chest. I feel so much better now.

What are some of your pet peeves?

6 comments:

alexita said...

your post totally reminded me of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBOV8WzH-oY

LOL!

Jenn said...

OH MY GOSH! that is the funniest thing EVER! I almost peed my pants a little from laughing, lol.

Desiree said...

OK, I don't feel too bad now. I can be pretty harsh about annoying stuff people do on my blog.

My pet peeves:
- People who smoke right at the entrance/exit of an establishment (move over to the side please).
- When I say "excuse me" to someone, he/she only responds with "mmm,hmmm". That's rude; it's not even a word.
- People who have boring Facebook statuses ("going to the beach", "studying...", "i'm bored"). Mine are intentionally funny and odd to make people laugh.

That's it...for now. :)

Lauren V. said...

Hahaha!! I love the video and the pet peeves. I think the "my bride" thing is Southern. I don't remember ever hearing it when I lived in FL and one of the key features of a youth leader I had in TN was his use of the term "bride." That and he called her "Mama" all the time which was just creepy.

Please, if I ever act like that when I'm pregnant, call me out on it. Fo real.

Unknown said...

Since I read this yesterday , all I've been thinking of is things I hate...lol.

For sure my biggest pet peeve is for my mom to say she's ready to pay, make the line, leave me there unloading the items and then say "oh i forgot beans be right back" EXCEPT she takes forever which makes for akwardness between me and the cashier when he's done scanning and between me and the other people in line....and then she comes back with the beans and 7 other items in her hand. ANNOYING.

Michelle said...

Ha, that video is hilarious! Gosh, I hope I wasn't like that when I was pregnant!

My pet peeves: bad grammar (ESPECIALLY if it's your own name and you don't know how to make it possessive or plural i.e. "the Jones cat", "the Jones' are going to the store"...ARGH it's your OWN name would you learn how to spell it correctly!!!!). Hmm. Now that I've written that one I can't think of another. :-) Bad grammar drives me INSANE though. Obviously.