Monday, September 28, 2009

Pursuit of God

This weekend J.D. began a new sermon series called 'Presence.' (The podcast will probably be up soon)

Let me just say that it really hit home for me. The basic question that it all boiled down to was, "Does my response to God match His awesome immensity?" The truth is, God is to be sought more than anything else. Psalm 42:1 says, "As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God." That's intense.

J.D. ended the sermon with a prayer taken from A.W. Tozer's "The Pursuit of God."
I really want this prayer to be true in my life and marriage and family.

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more... I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, so that I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long.

No comments: