Tuesday, March 03, 2009

planting


I've been doing a lot of thinking about the future lately. It's hard for me to focus on the present, and I know that I should...but I think it's nice to ponder over what God is calling you to do.

When I began my seminary education, I had NO clue what I would do upon graduation.  Now that I'm seven months into it, I'm still not absolutely certain about anything, but Alex and I have some ideas. 

I've been thinking a lot about culture, big city living, and church planting. I briefly shared my thoughts with Alex one day and he said I just had to listen to one of the talks that Mark Driscoll gave at the 20/20 Conference last month.  When I finally did, it blew me away! It was exactly what had been on my mind the last few weeks. Here's a summary of his talk written by someone who was there. The podcast is available on iTunes if you want to hear it for yourself. Just search for the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary podcast and download Mark Driscoll's talk entitled "Seven Views of Culture." It's dated February 6, 2009 and it's free!

Anyway, I think hearing that podcast really confirmed many of my feelings and clarified a lot of things for Alex as well. We're really thinking seriously about church planting somewhere. Nothing is set in stone yet. We're not sure when or where. But we're headed in that direction possibly. For now, I'll just keep studying and learning all that I can in seminary, and Alex is getting his papers in order to join the College at Southeastern. Big move for him, and I'm proud that he's taking this step. Pray for us to keep seeking God's direction. I want Proverbs 3:5-6 to really be true in our lives. I want it to be something we live and not just something we say.

3 comments:

Rey De Armas said...

that's very exciting! i'll be praying for you both :)

alexita said...

this sounds great! the discussion was really interesting. ill be praying for you guys! :)

<3

Brigitte said...

Horray for planting!
Tom and I will keep you both in prayer =)
Miss you guys!