Friday, October 05, 2007

wedding stress


When Alex and I got engaged I vowed that I would not be one of those CRAZY bridezillas. I would be calm and sweet and easy going.
However, this is proving to be a difficult task!
Most women get into the mentality that this day is "all about me." And if that were true, things would be so much easier. I'm the kind of girl who makes up my mind quickly. I know what I like and I know what I don't like. I could plan this entire wedding in a matter of months. However, there's this other pesky person who keeps getting in my way...his name is Alex. And he actually has opinions and desires and expectations for this wedding! How dare he! Everyone knows that I should make all the decisions and he is just along for the ride. He's lucky I allowed him to take on the task of finding music for the reception. He had his job...he should have just stuck to it and left everything else up to me. After all, it is MY wedding.

Unfortunately, it's not my wedding...it is OUR wedding. And according to my mother, Alex is a good man and we should consider his wants. (Pfft...imagine that, my own mother turning against me)

The lesson here is, don't forget your fiance when planning the wedding of your dreams. He might actually have some ideas worth listening to...and both of you should be happy. This is a day to celebrate your love for each other...and a big part of love (and marriage) is compromise. And if you can't start compromising now, your marriage is pretty much doomed.

7 comments:

Joseph said...

The wedding day is really about the bride,not totally, but predominantly. Many women have visions about what they want to have for THEIR wedding. I was always ready to assist, but it occurred to me that I all I had to do was smell good, look good, and most importantly, SHOW-UP!(on time). Everything else was about her, except later when it came time for me to say my 1 line, ahem,"I DO" :O)

stephsharpe said...

Sounds insane, lol. well i'll pray for you and Alex, so you could get through this in one piece lol. Oh and no offense, Alex does have good ideas most of the time, maybe he could make something better than what you originally wanted. Laters,
Steph

Jescel said...

planning a wedding could be pretty stressful. just agree which part each of you should be directly responsible with for the planning, and you should trust each other. this way alex won't be left out also. As for my wedding, I was lucky Joe left me pretty much most of the details :o)But I agree, the important part is that you both enjoy the process, and you both learn how to meet each other half-way.

Anonymous said...

Finally! Proof that I had a good idea. Thanks babe. I love you. Oh, and don't worry I won't be a groomzilla.

Lauren said...

I agree with you kristel..its your wedding how dare he! Just make him feel that he has input. J/k thats great that the two of you are making decision together you'll both enjoy it more in the end. Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

so true so true...i had to learn this lesson also. damn those grooms!

Big Sister said...

just remember, the more he does, the less you have to do!